Awards / nominations
2018; The Harvesters a South African feature film was selected for the Cannes International film festival competing in the Un Certain Regard section.
She was nominated Best Supporting Actress at the Silver screen film festival in South Africa.
2019; Received the Hedda Award (Norway's prestigious theatre awards) for Special artistic effort with The chosen ones for the performance The Ship vol 5.
Scholarships / residences
2021 Norwegian states working stipend.
2020 Recipient of the Rauschenberg Foundation's travel grant and scholarship stay for 5 weeks on Captiva Island in Florida.
2019 Travel support from Music Norway for W / V album tour.
2018 FFUK travel support for preliminary project and development of «Bird Project» / Bokmakierie with Cara Stacey in Swaziland and Johannesburg.
2017 received support for a record with Nystrøm / Venter from FFUK
2013 Support from the National Arts Council of South Africa for a preliminary project for the opera Soul of the White Ant in Namibia.
1998 Support from the National Arts Council of South Africa for a project with The Mud Ensemble.
Excerpt actor performances in recent years :
• She stars in a new international feature film from South Africa, The Harvesters, about a Boer family at the end of apartheid. This was selected for the Cannes Film Festival in 2018, in the Un Certain Regard category, and has won awards at the Sundance Festival, and was nominated for "best supporting actress" at the Silver Screen Festival in South Africa. Industry magazine Variety called her performance "superb".
• Venter has studied the Meisner technique with Mike Bernardin from the Actor's Space in Berlin, which she also now teaches. She is a student of the renowned acting coach Susan Batson (permanent coach for Nicole Kidman and Juliette Binoche, among others)
• She has played Goneril in King Lear and played the part of Yvette Pottier in Brecht's Mother Courage which toured in South Africa.
• In 2018 and 2019, she had leading roles as an actor and singer and co-composer in 4 productions by the internationally renowned Norwegian theater group De Utvalgte. The last of the productions were performed as part of the Ultima Festival, she received the Hedda Prize for special artistic effort.
She had a leading role in the music theatre performance Congress of Dreams as an actress and singer and highlighted by Ida Lou Larsen in the review of the performance, Directed by Susanne Øglænd with music by Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. Black Box in Oslo. Together with Håkon Thelin, Trond Høvik, Per Oddvar Johansen, Anne Kokkin and others.
• Activity 2020 composition, performance, and acting.
-Dans for voksne; the premiere of composition for voice, tree trunk, and motorcycle.
-Morning concert Sagene church: The wolf hour by Juliana Venter and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
- Corona sessions with Jo Strømgren company as singer and actress in a free improvised
performance with ballet dancer Silas Henriksen.
-The Drop Festival at renowned jazz venue Cosmopolite (live stream) fundraiser for refugees. Rolf- Erik Nystrøm and Mats Eilertsen.
- Nakba 72 -performance composition and vocals with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. For the Palestinian cause in Gaza.
- Pre-project writing and creating (Floating mirror) with Marius Kolbensvedt and Julian Skar and Torbjørn Martin Davidson.
- Founding of Skeleton coast a music theatre company with M. Kolbenstvedt, R-E Nystrøm and F Haverøy.
- Minefield; premiere of a new music theatre work at Kunstnernes hus in December 2020 . Direction and text M.Kolbenstvedt.Composer. Bjørn Skjelbred.
- Duo concert with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm at Exhibition opening landscape painting Jon Løvøen on Sandøya island.
- Blowout, 10-year festival celebration of the prestigious free improv series with newly formed trio Karawane with Øyvind Skarbø and Vilia Ellefsen-Larson from DNA. (18-22 August) Nasjonal jazz scene.
- Duo concert Nystrøm / Venter asked to create a remix of one of Scandinavia's most important female composers works Åse Hedstrøm.
- Oslo world music festival concert with world-renowned free improv drummer Paal Nilssen- Love.
- Commissioned work for Oslo literature festival Barne festivalen and African resistance poetry.
Own projects under development.
As a composer and singer:
Research/recording work and composition for «Bird Song project» / Bokmakierie in Swaziland using traditional instruments and musicians from Swaziland and the Norwegian super trio Poing. Based on bird songs from South Africa and Norway.
Projects as a singer, actress, and composer:
-Main role as actress and singer in Skipet vol. 6 with De Utvalgte in Hofteatret in Copenhagen.
-Fra Hæl Til Himmel (Human cockroaches), a music theater production based on a text by and with Torgeir Rebolledo Pedersen, music composed by Rolf-Erik Nystrøm, Juliana Venter, Eirik Raude; also starring: Marius Kolbenstvedt, Janne Eraker and Håkon Sigernes.
-Draumefangeren, produced by Frikar dansekompani v /pani v / Halgrim Hansegård, with Bjarne Kvinnsland, Eirik Raude and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. Also physical and choreographed performer.
- Touring the record release of W / V in Lillehammer, in Oslo, Berlin, and Prague.
- Work with teenagers and young adults with mental challenges under the name Supergruppo: A project where we created music together with Supergruppo at Vossajazz; together with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm and Håkon Mjåset Johansen.
- Collaboration, and concerts with DNA in Norway at Hærverk and Mir.
- Performed at Le guess who festival in the Netherlands (under the auspices of Dance for Adults). Oslo-based music group where the members have down syndrome. Led by Harald Fetveit and Bjarne Larsen.
- Soloist for the silent film L 'Inferno by Dante Alighieri composed by Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. Specially written for Juliana Venter with Oslo Sinfonietta and Poing. The opening of the silent film festival at the Cinematheque in Oslo.
- Soloist in the music for the silent film L 'Inferno di Dante in Rolf-Erik Nystrøm's music during Kammerfest in Østfold.
- Duo concert with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm during Kammerfest in Østfold in Fredrikstad.
- Free improvised / noise music trio concert with Juliana and the Venters at Hausmania (with Morten Minothi- Kristiansen and Kenneth Kornstad)
-Solo concert/performance under the title Mr.Richman at Hausmania.
- Christmas with Poing on the Victoria National Jazz Stage.
Actress-singer and composer:
- Children's Bonfire; a musical theatre performance for children and young people, which addresses the climate problems the world is facing, together with Marius Kolbenstvedt and Nikolai Lange-Nilssen, commissioned by the Church of Norway.
a. Tromsø Church Music Festival in the Arctic Cathedral.
b. Sandefjord (The Cultural Schoolbag)
c. Nesodden church
d. The climate festival at Sentralen in Oslo.
- Co-wrote and performed the soundtrack to the short film Alien Resident by Mira Matthew.
- Released the album W / V on the company Silken Tofu together with James Wellburn.
As an actor, singer, and co-composer:
- Ship 3; at Black Box theatre in Oslo.
- Ship 4; at the Terschelling theatre festival in the Netherlands
- Ship 5; at the Ultima Festival (Hedda Prize
As a free improviser and singer /vocalist:
-Frikar dance company as improvising physical performer and singer in performance.
-Concert with Poing on the free improvisation concert series Blow Out.
-Free Resonance In Trondheim. Nystrøm / Waiting duo.
-Diversity workshop together with composer and improvisation legend Georg Lewis as part of the Ultima Festival.
-The silent film L 'Inferno di Dante as a singer with Munor (the district musicians in the northern Rogaland ensemble) and Harald Hårfagre's Chamber Orchestra at the film festival in Haugesund. Composer Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
-Tour in China: Shanghai, Zhujiajiao, and Guangzhou with Kouame Sereba, Rolf-Erik Nystrøm, and the Chinese pipe master Fang Jinlong.
- Hardanger Music Festival. Commissioned work for the primary school. Participated in several concerts.
- Lacrimae Rerum: Commissioned concert for Josefine folk stage Duo concert with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
- Concerts in Copenhagen with Nystrøm / Venter duo at Frederiksberg Country Club and Frederiksberg Library.
Solo /duo and group concerts
- Festival Møtforestellinger-Performances; Concert with Geko Fattal and solo performance with text by South African resistance poet Wopko Jensma; for the Palestinian cause.
-Poing Christmas Concert. Soloist
As an actress.
Film premiere The Harvesters at the Cannes Film Festival.
As a singer, actor, and composer:
. Barnas Bål: Production, composition, and premiere in Tøyen church in Oslo, concerts at Showbox and in Tromsø.
.Welburn / Venter album recorded (Singer and co-composer)
. Stamsund Theater Festival. Concert with Øyvind Berg and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. Performance where music and poetry are integrated. Commissioned work.
. Rolf Jacobsen dagene / Nordic Poetry Festival with Øyvind Berg and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
.The literature symposium in Odda with Øyvind Berg and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
. The vocal voice in Concept of Sorrows & Dangers by Lars Petter Hagen.
the closing concert of the Ultima Festival at Sentralen with the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation and conductor Ingar Bergby.
. Free improv concerts at BLÅ and Ila Fysikalske with Nystrøm and Joakim Heibø (drums)
. Vocal work on an installation in Riga by James Webb.
. Concert with the trio Poing and their Mob Christmas on the National Jazz Stage.
.The concert Human" in Cape Town. Blah blah bar.
. Harvestworks in New York. .Blue. premiere of Dalia Raudonikyte-With.
. Stamsund int. theatre festival. With the duo's own compositions.
1. Recorded the French-Polish-South African feature film The Harvesters in Kwazulu Natal in South Africa
2. The ship vol 3 with Det Utvalgte at the Black Box theatre.
As a singer /composer. Free improv and performance art.
-Participated with percussionist Daniel Paulsen on Rolf-Erik Nystrøm's commissioned work for the opening of the at the Munch Museum based on the pictures of the artists.
-Where commissioned and completed several concert assignments after the Munch Museum to create new smaller performances for invited guests with music specially adapted for the pictures.
-A performance dedicated to Edvard Munch with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. The opening of the Munch Museum's summer program at Ekely.
-Spacemouldmachine: A performance inspired by John Cage's Water Walk: with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. (Cape Town)
- Back to the Future: w / Cara Stacey (Cape Town) a futuristic music and food performance.
- The MultiNo festival with Alessandro Boratti, the Italian composer and pianist.
- Concert in Rovereto Italy with Alessandro Boratti. Music by John Cage, Anton Webern, Giacinto Scelsi + improvisations and music by Venter and Boratti.
- Performance /concert: Home 1: a place-specific performance with the Brazilian performance artist Fernanda Branco and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
- Shooting stars and hearts: with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm and Brydon Bolton in Cape Town.
- Concert during Gambling Woman in Copenhagen. Works for motorcycle, voice, lap steel, and percussion. With Mette Zoe Matthiesen and Jim Neversink. Music by Arnold Schoenberg, Scelsi, Hank Williams, Merula, Nico, and own compositions.
- Concerts with Moe, Nystrøm, Li TiQiao, and Yu Miao in Beijing.
- Concert with Per Oddvar Johansen on the National Jazz Stage.
- Øykjelykkejesetra: Vinstra. Concert with Mats Eilertsen and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
- Concert with Sturm und Drang, Roar Engelberg and Rolf-Erik Nystrøm in Ila church in Oslo.
- Performance with Poing on the Victoria national jazz scene.
As a singer and co-composer. Work with poetry and literature.
Commissioned work for the Oslo International Poetry Festival
a. Tesla Kannery: with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm.
b. Performance /concert with Øyvind Berg's poetry, together with Nystrøm and Øyvind Berg
c. Music for poems by and with Kai Miller.
1 South comfort in Oslo for vocals and Harley Davidson motorcycle. Outside Deichman Library at Schous plass
2. Solo concert during the concert series Bristepunktet in Oslo.
As an actress.
In Mother Courage by Bertolt Brecht in the role of Yvette Pottier: Word Festival In Cape Town in addition to a longer tour with the performance in South Africa
-Historical documentation of the works of the industrial music pioneers Live Jimi Presley (contributes on the record)
-Composer of the music for the poem "This journey" A music compilation of South African poet Ingrid Jonker's work.
Vomo no 1 for vocals, noise, guitar, and 5 motorcycles.
Vomo no 2 for vocals, string quartet, African traditional bows, drums, and 7 motorcycles (in South Africa), of which she has performed versions in several countries.
- TV performance with music for a motorcycle, voice, and violin.
- Phantom globe; Wordfestival composer. selection Stellenbosch (with Gorm Hjelford, Jonno Sweetman, Brydon Bolton, Ronan Skillen.)
- International solo tour as a vocalist and composer. (Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, and London),with guest
appearances by Phil Winter from Wrangler, Jim Neversink, Viviana Vega, and Morten- Minothi Kristiansen.
- NK project Berlin with Umit Urgen as soloist and composer.
- Solo Il Sol Tace, an art and music work for orchestra and voice. By and with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm and a hand-picked ensemble of leading improvisers. (Norway.)
- As a vocalist in a sound installation with sound artist James Webb (South Africa.)
- Radio presenter on Bush Radio. (Africa's first pirate radio station)
- Guest appearance at the concert that marked the release of the album with the Brazilian Habeca legend Nelson da Rabeca, w / Rolf-Erik Nystrøm, Celio de Carvalho, Erlend Viken (Norway)
- Guest vocalist with Poing during Pøbeljul. Victoria National Jazz Scene
- China / Beijing: w / Rolf-Erik Nystrøm, Miao Yu and Li Tieqiao
- Guest vocalist with the award-winning South African group Benguela.
- Leading role in the music- theatre performance Congress of Dreams as an actor and singer. Directed by Susanne Øglænd with music by Rolf-Erik Nystrøm. Black Box in Oslo. Together with Håkon Thelin, Trond Høvik, Per Oddvar Johansen, Anne Kokkinn and others.
- Mother Courage (Bertolt Brecht) Directed by Jerry Mofokeng (South Africa) as a singer and actor, as part of Die Woordfees.